Do i need a dui attorney for my first offense?

Asked over 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

I had a 1.38 percent when i did the breath test. I got pulled over for speeding i was going 72 on a 45 the cop said on the report. I went to a dmv hearing to get my license back but the cop showed up and now it is suspended until my court date which is on June 6.

1. David Wesley Cornish

4

Answered . You definitely should get an attorney because the prosecutor will still be charging you with a crime and without counsel's experienced help could violate your rights. While you may have a high breath test you need an attorney to determine if the state can prove your liability for other reasons such as they improperly pulled you over, administered the breath tests, or made you do a field sobriety test. The most important thing is to aggressively fight this matter because by not preemptively preparing your defense strategy the prosecutor gains a stronger advantage.

Answers to this question are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship
  2. Slavik Steve Leydiker

2

Answered . Yes. I strongly suggest you have an attorney. You can request a public defender at your arraignment if you can't afford to hire one. Even if you had a BAC of .14, an attorney will work to mitigate the damage.

3. Jay L Siegel

Pro

Answered . A DMV hearing is not the criminal case. You should know that the amount of proof necessary for a DMV is significantly lower than a DUI conviction. Do not let that event discourage you. You should interview several attorneys in your City and decide whether to hire an attorney. Remember you do not want any attorney, you want the right attorney for you.

4. Benjamin J Lieberman

Answered . Absolutely. An attorney knows the law and system much better than you and can insure that you get the best possible disposition. Don't even think of trying to go at this alone, it's always smart to have an attorney when navigating the criminal justice system.