Do I need a discrimination attorney?

Asked about 2 years ago - Searcy, AR

I have filed a complaint against an Oil service company with the EEOC,and the have reviewed and decided to proceed with an investigation of the company and I'm currently awaiting a mediation meeting.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Christine C McCall


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should get an attorney. The "decision" by EEOC to investigate means nothing, and the EEOC does not represent you and cannot be counted on to look out for your best interests. If your case has merit, you can find an attorney who will represent you on contingency. It can be a strategic mistake to go through EEOC mediation without legal counsel.

    My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.... more
  2. Scott Luzi

    Contributor Level 7

    Answered . You do not necessarily need an attorney to proceed either through the investigation or to the mediation, but it would probably be a good idea to retain one. An employment law attorney will guide you through the process and be there to protect your interests against your (former) employer.

    Scott S. Luzi
    Walcheske & Luzi, LLC

    This response is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,296 answers this week

3,354 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,296 answers this week

3,354 attorneys answering