Do I need a discrimination attorney?

Asked about 2 years ago - Searcy, AR

I have filed a complaint against an Oil service company with the EEOC,and the have reviewed and decided to proceed with an investigation of the company and I'm currently awaiting a mediation meeting.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

1

Answered . You should get an attorney. The "decision" by EEOC to investigate means nothing, and the EEOC does not represent you and cannot be counted on to look out for your best interests. If your case has merit, you can find an attorney who will represent you on contingency. It can be a strategic mistake to go through EEOC mediation without legal counsel.

2. Scott Luzi

Answered . You do not necessarily need an attorney to proceed either through the investigation or to the mediation, but it would probably be a good idea to retain one. An employment law attorney will guide you through the process and be there to protect your interests against your (former) employer.

Scott S. Luzi
    Walcheske & Luzi, LLC
    www.walcheskeluzi.com