Do I need a criminal lawyer

Asked about 2 years ago - Valley Stream, NY

I have two felony convictions (class D and E) from the early 1980's. Will a "relief From Public Disabilities" prevent prospective employers from seeing my past convictions?

1. Steven Marc Raiser

3

Answered . Neither a Relief from Disabilities nor a Certificate of Good Conduct will remove convictions from your record. However, an employer may consider these remedies as proof of rehabilitation so they are of some value.

2. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

2

Answered . You don't need a lawyer for this application. You can apply through the clerk of the court of conviction. That being said, a certificate does not hide these from employers. Sealing would do that but that legislation is still a few years away.

3. Jay K Goldberg

1

Answered . The certificate has nothing to do with your record. It remains on the record and visible to anyone who does a background check.

4. Carlos Gonzalez

Pro

1

Answered . you will still have these things show up on your record, if any one of them was a drug crime however you may qualify to expunge them all... Our office generally handles such case. If you are interested in hiring someone to help you with this contact us...

5. Maryam Jahedi

Answered . Granting of a Certificate removes disabilities you incurred but does not remove the underlying convictions. So a prospective employer could still exercise its discretion to refuse employment. But note that Certificate of Relief from Disabilities is eligible for one who has been convicted of any number of misdemeanors and up to one felony. For your situation with two felony convictions, you should be eligible for Certificate of Good Conduct rather than a Certificate of Relief from Disabilities. Certificate of Good Conduct is reserved for those individuals who have been convicted of two or more seperate felonies. Only the Board of Parole is authorized to issue the Certificate of Good Conduct.