Do i need a criminal defense lawyer

in 1998 me and my ex got in a fight i was arrested and charged with assault on a female i went to court and she didnt show up but the arresting officer was there.i got probation and thats it. well now im trying to get a job and i wanna know is there any way i can get that expunged off my record. by the way the state was n.c.

Pageland, SC -

Alan James Brinkmeier

Alan James Brinkmeier

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Chicago, IL

You will need an attorney to advise you about how that process works.

There are many in your locale that can be found here so use the Lawyer Search tab
on the top right hand side of your screen.

Howard Woodley Bailey

Howard Woodley Bailey

Criminal Defense Attorney - Newark, NJ

I agree with my colleague, that the most certain way of achieving your goal of expungement is to discuss the issue with a lawyer admitteed to practice law in SC before you file a petition (although there is no way to predict the success of the petition from the facts you list). You could also Google the issue and check out listings like:
http://lawdigest.uslegal.com/expungement-of-cri...

Disclaimer
This information is offered for informational purposes only, as I am not admitted to practice law in your State. It is not intended as legal advice and you should not rely upon it to decide how to resolve this issue. No Attorney-Client relationship is intended or established by this response. You are faced with a situation where you need to consult with an experienced defense lawyer admitted to practice law in your State before you make any decisions as to how to resolve this issue.

Matthew J Ruff

Matthew J Ruff

Domestic Violence Lawyer - Torrance, CA

Hundreds of people are arrested every day in California. An arrest for a criminal offense does not always result in a conviction. The law allows the police to arrest an individual if the officer has probable cause to believe a violation of law has occurred. In many cases a criminal defense lawyer can help resolve the case before a person ever goes to Court. A local attorney can arrange a meeting with the district attorney and attempt to have charges dropped.

A Criminal Defense Lawyer can help to guide the person in what to say and do when questioned by investigators after the arrest. Should the case go to Court, having a Local Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney can give the person an edge in prevailing at trial.

A common practice is to wait until you go to Court until you begin to think about hiring a criminal defense lawyer. The problem with this way of thinking is that the case does not sleep while you are waiting to go in front of a Judge. The police are working behind the scene to build a strong case that will be presented to the District Attorney. A local attorney at law can intervene if retained early enough and work our resolutions in many cases. Most lawyers have ongoing relationships with law enforcement and prosecutors and can utilize those resources to resolve criminal charges. In many cases, the lawyer can initiate an investigation to acquire exculpatory evidence and information which can subsequently be presented to the Prosecutorial team in order to get charges dropped.

Michael Jermaine Carter

Michael Jermaine Carter

Criminal Defense Attorney - Denver, CO

Before you hire an attorney you may be able to just go to the court house and find a flier on how to get this expunged. If that doesnt work your best bet is to hire someone experienced in this type of litigation.