Do I need a criminal defense lawyer?

Asked over 1 year ago - Orangeburg, NY

I have been charged with second degree criminal possession of a forged perscription for 180 oxycodone 30 mg. I have no priors. And I am an addict. I was released on ROR. Please help me to better understand my charge and advise me on what I should do.

1. Brian Howard Berkowitz

Pro

6

1

Best Answer

Answered . Thank you for your question. It appears that you are charged with Criminal Possession of a Forged Instrument in the Second Degree (Sec. 170.25 Penal Law), which is a class ā€œDā€ felony. Although there are many sentencing options available to the Court (which do not involve jail), you should be aware that while not mandatory (assuming no prior felony convictions), this charge could result in a State Prison Sentence.

Regardless of whether the facts and circumstances of your case and your background would merit a jail sentence, please keep in mind that you are charged with a felony, which is the most serious level of a criminal offense. There is no scenario in which you do not need a criminal defense lawyer to help you with your case.

Please feel free to give me a call if you would like to discuss your case.

Good luck and thanks again for your question.

Brian Berkowitz is a Criminal Defense Attorney and former Senior Assistant District Attorney located in Rockland County, New York. www.Berklaw.com

2. Peter William Green

8

Answered . You ABSOLUTELY need an attorney, it sounds like you've been charged with a "D" felony. It is important that you contact a criminal defense attorney right away.

Peter W. Green, Esq.
    55 Main Street
    Goshen, New York 10924
    Tel: (845) 820-5091

3. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

6

Answered . Yes--you need an attorney. You face jail, probation, community service, fines and/or a program. You could end up with a criminal record.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

4. Eric Edward Rothstein

5

Answered . You need a criminal defense lawyer as you are charged with a felony. I had a case like this a couple of years ago and was able to put together a compelling package to show the prosecutor and get my client a Disordely Conduct plea, which is a violation and not a crime. Hopefully whatever lawyer you hire can do the same for you.

5. John Paul Thygerson

Pro

5

Answered . No question about it. You need a lawyer. You are charged with a felony and facing the potential of jail. Get counsel immediately.

One or more answers have been taken down.