Skip to main content

Do I need a criminal defense lawyer?

Orangeburg, NY |

I have been charged with second degree criminal possession of a forged perscription for 180 oxycodone 30 mg. I have no priors. And I am an addict. I was released on ROR. Please help me to better understand my charge and advise me on what I should do.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Thank you for your question. It appears that you are charged with Criminal Possession of a Forged Instrument in the Second Degree (Sec. 170.25 Penal Law), which is a class “D” felony. Although there are many sentencing options available to the Court (which do not involve jail), you should be aware that while not mandatory (assuming no prior felony convictions), this charge could result in a State Prison Sentence.

Regardless of whether the facts and circumstances of your case and your background would merit a jail sentence, please keep in mind that you are charged with a felony, which is the most serious level of a criminal offense. There is no scenario in which you do not need a criminal defense lawyer to help you with your case.

Please feel free to give me a call if you would like to discuss your case.

Good luck and thanks again for your question.

Brian Berkowitz is a Criminal Defense Attorney and former Senior Assistant District Attorney located in Rockland County, New York.

This answer does not in any way create or establish an attorney-client relationship and is intended solely to be generic legal information, not legal advice. Under no circumstances should the information obtained here be used to make decisions about the proper course of a legal matter.


You ABSOLUTELY need an attorney, it sounds like you've been charged with a "D" felony. It is important that you contact a criminal defense attorney right away.

Peter W. Green, Esq.
55 Main Street
Goshen, New York 10924
Tel: (845) 820-5091


You need a criminal defense lawyer as you are charged with a felony. I had a case like this a couple of years ago and was able to put together a compelling package to show the prosecutor and get my client a Disordely Conduct plea, which is a violation and not a crime. Hopefully whatever lawyer you hire can do the same for you.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Yes--you need an attorney. You face jail, probation, community service, fines and/or a program. You could end up with a criminal record.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


No question about it. You need a lawyer. You are charged with a felony and facing the potential of jail. Get counsel immediately.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer