Do I need a criminal defense attorney?

Erie, PA |

My friend was a drug dealer and on one occasion I had dropped off something for her. It turned out to be illegal drugs and I delivered this to an informant and an undercover agent. My friend has been arrested and has been working with the police to build a case against her supplier. This happened a year ago and I am now being told that I may be charged and facing a mandatory minimum sentence of 5 years. My friend has given the police my phone number as they wanted to contact me to "talk". She suggests that I talk to them and be completely honest etc... I don't know if I should do that or not. Am looking for legal advice. do I talk to the cops or tell them I would cooperate, but only w/ an attorney present?

This matter is at a very serious stage by the sounds of it. You would best advised to seek the advice an assistance of an experienced criminal defense attorney in your local area.

It is also probably advisable that you no longer post information about potentially criminal activity on this site as it may be used against you.

Best of Luck!

The materials on this site are provided for general informational purposes only. The information in not intended to constitute legal advice. The information presented on this site is general only. You should not act upon this information without consulting with an attorney for advice specific to you. This site is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between you and Yoo & Osborne, PLLC. You should not act or rely on any information in this site without seeking the advice of an attorney. No attorney-client relationship is created with the firm absent an express agreement between the firm and you, the client. The mere receipt by the firm of an email does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise confidential relationship with Yoo & Osborne. Please do not send us any confidential information until you speak with us and receive our authorization to send confidential information to us.

Yes, you need a criminal defense attorney. It is very unwise to subject yourself to being interviewed by police if there is even the slightest risk you will end up being charged. The purpose of the interview is NOT to help you. It is to help the police put you away, and to get information from you that helps put others away.

You should avoid making comments on the internet that could be viewed as a confession. Instead, you should qualify your comments with things like "if" or use the phrase "a person" instead of I or me.

If this were a Michigan case, and I were hired, very probably my advice would be to not allow you to be interviewed by police at all, with or without an attorney present. Getting information from you is a goal of the prosecution. You do not want to give away the store without getting something in return. The police cannot make an enforcible promise; only the prosecutor can. I feel you need a lawyer now to keep this from getting worse.

First the answer to your question is YES! You need criminal defense counsel. Second do not speak with The police without the benefit of counsel, Third do not speak with your friend regarding the case or past activities without the consent of your counsel. Make no mistake about this you could very well be charged with felony Possession with intent to deliver, Depending on ho much was delivered or where you could be subject to mandatory minimums

This information does not create an attorney /client relationship and should not be use or relied upon to make any decision in your case. Only consultation with your own attorney can provide you with the advice you need for your case.

My general rule of thumb is not to talk to the police. You will only give them more ammunition against you. However, in some cases if it were in your interest to speak to the police, do so only with competent legal counsel present with you.