Do I need a criminal defense attorney?

Asked about 4 years ago - Northvale, NJ

Hello, I have recently been charged with shoplifting at a local Costco. The town lives about 15 minutes from me and is in the state of New York. I live in New Jersey. As I was about to leave the store, the manager stopped me and asked me to come to the backroom with him, I was stunned did not say anything, and turned around to walk in the direction he wanted me to go. There had been an Asset protection Security Agent following me, and he walked with us. He told me that the cops weren't going to be involved. I did not know what to believe, I thought they we're trying to say anything just to get me to come back with them. After a couple of steps, I started panicking and decided to try to run. As soon as I tried to run, the manager grabbed me, and my shirt and jacket came off. I didn't fall d

1. Elliot S Stomel

Pro

Answered . Unfortunately, your question was cut off before you could provide all of your information. If you were charged with "shoplifting" or some other form of theft offense, you should definitely retain an attorney to represent you. If you were not formally charged, I suggest that you take a wait-and-see approach. If you do not get charged, then you will not need an attorney. Please bear in mind, however, that in New Jersey the store has the right to demand a "civil penalty" even if you do not receive a criminal charge, and you may get a letter from Costco's attorneys demanding this penalty.

2. John Leif Fossum

Answered . If you have been charged with a crime, you need the assistance of a lawyer.