Do i need a criminal defense attorney?

Asked over 1 year ago - Muskegon, MI

i made numerous unwanted phone calls to a person and a complaint was filed with prosecutor. what can i be charged with?

1. Timothy J. Klisz

Pro

6

Answered . As a Michigan attorney, yes, you always need an attorney if charged with a crime. Telephone harrasment comes to mind, or stalking. Say nothing to anyone except your own attorney.

2. Barry Franklin Poulson

3

Answered . See a criminal defense attorney and try to head off the charges. Contact Atty Whims in your area, or do an AVVO or ad search. Make NO contact with the person, and hope to see a postive outcome.

3. Matthew S. Abdo

3

Answered . I dealt with a case similar to this earlier today. This may form the foundation for some type of stalking or harassment charge. Before charges are brought it is sometimes a judgment call if you need an attorney. If you are contacted by the police it may be time to get a lawyer involved. If you are charged with a crime you DEFINITELY want to hire a lawyer.

4. Andrew Charles Lapres

3

Answered . Of course you need an attorney. Just because a complaint was filed with the prosecutor doesn't mean that you'll actually be charged. There isn't enough detail in your question to tell for sure, but it sounds like malicious use of a telephone, which is a misdemeanor. However, if you're on probation, have a prior malicious use conviction, the person called is a minor, or it rises to the level of stalking, you could be looking at a felony charge. Again, I don't know the particulars of your situation, but those are the possibilities. You should consider making contact with a criminal defense attorney to discuss this in more detail. Good luck.

5. Marc Eric Curtis

2

Answered . Having worked in a Prosecutor's Office, you need to get an attorney as soon as you can.

6. William David Umansky

Pro

3

Answered . I don;t know about michigan law but it ALWAYS advisable to retain defense counsel if a complaint was filed with the prosecutor. Please be careful posting admissions on AVVO as it is a public forum. Good Luck to you!

7. Mark S. Bilkovic

1

Answered . Under Michigan law, 2 or more unconsented contacts can form the basis for a stalking charge. It would be wise for you tom hire an attorney immediately to try and get the prosecutor to not issue charges. In addition, cease all contact with the indivudual who filed the complaint.