Do i need a criminal attorney?

Asked over 1 year ago - Andover, MA

If someone received a warrant for 8 COUNTS of RECEIVE STOLEN PROPERTY -$250 should the person contact a criminal attorney before the court date? Also, what kind of trouble would that person be facing?

1. Emma A. Kremer

7

1

Answered . Yes. I recommend retaining a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. For further information about possible penalties, consult an attorney.

2. Ilir Kavaja

7

Answered . Absolutely yes! Consult with an attorney asap! The person is facing 8 different charges that carry jail sentences! Most attorneys will offer a free initial consultation.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Law Office of Ilir Kavaja
    30 Newbury Street
    Boston, MA 02116

(617) 515-5545
    www.kavajalaw.com

3. Michael Alan Contant

5

Answered . I certainly concur with my colleagues. A lawyer is needed immediately. These are serious charges. In fact, they are felonies. A lawyer can and should begin to formulate the plan prior to the first Court date. What you can expect depends on a number of variables, including (1) possible available defenses to the charges; and (2) the length and type of prior criminal record you may have.

The fact that you received a summons, as opposed to police at your doorstep is a good indicator that you likely not be held on any significant bail when you go to court.

You should gather as much information as possible, including the police report, if available, and contact an experienced criminal attorney as soon as possible. I would not speak with anyone but an attorney regarding the facts of this case. Most offer initial free consultations.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Mike Contant
    Contant Law Offices, P.C.
    141 Tremont Street, 4th Floor
    Boston, MA 02111
    (617) 227-8384
    mike@contant-law.com

4. Terri D. Leary

5

Answered . You should be meeting with a criminal attorney for several reasons, not the least of which is to have someone to speak with confidentially about the reason these charges were brought (what happened) and how the case may impact your life. Speaking with anyone else, even close friends or family members, may create witnesses against you, so speak with a lawyer instead.

You could be facing probation, fines and jail time, and they all have serious consequences.

5. Robert D Lewin

Pro

4

1

Answered . You say you received "a warrant". Did you receive a "summons to defendant"? Or did you receive an "Application for Criminal Complaint"? Or did you receive a "notice that a warrant for your arrest" had been issued by a court. These are all different. You should try to get a lawyer before your court date as there are things that a good criminal lawyer can do BEFORE your court date. For example, you may be eligible for "diversion" of your case away from the criminal system. I note your post is from Andover; if your case is in Lawrence District Court, you may be eligible for the diversion program at Lawrence District Court. This must be set up BEFORE the date of your court appearance. If you received a Notice of Complaint Application that is even better as then you would have a chance to kill the case in the Clerk-Magistrate's Office. Every lawyer who has responded to your posting has told you to get a lawyer. They all can't be wrong. So, get off your butt; get on the phone; and call a good criminal lawyer who knows the court where your case is. Just do it.

Robert D. Lewin. Attorney
    LEWIN & LEWIN, CRIMINAL LAWYERS
    Offices in ANDOVER, MA & MALDEN, MA serving all of Eastern, MA
    Tel. 781-322-2228
    Fax. 781-322-6351
    Email: rlewin@lewinandlewin.com
    Website: www.lewinandlewin.com

6. Henry Lebensbaum

2

Answered . Yes

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

7. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . I practice in one of the other three Commonwealths, PA, and I can answer this one--it's really easy. Yes, you absolutely need an attorney unless you don't care at all what happens when your cases are concluded.

8. Kelly A. Broadbent

1

Answered . They should absolutely hire an attorney.