Do I need a corporate attorney to start my own business?

Asked about 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

I am about to start an online business (sole proprietership) and mostly curious about whether it makes sense to speak with an attorney about ways to limit personal liability.

1. Michael Thomas Smith

5

Answered . I would recommend speaking with an attorney who advises on business matters and helps with the formation of corporations and limited liability companies. These entities offer a limitation of personal liability if they are set up and operated in a proper fashion. The same type of liability protection is not available to a sole proprietor.

A knowledgeable attorney can learn more about your individual circumstances and concerns and give you specific advice for your situation. Good luck to you and your new business.

2. Saphronia R Young

5

Answered . I agree with the other attorney, but before you meet with a business attorney, I would recommend that you visit http://www.sos.wa.gov. The Secretary of State has a good website with basic information about the distinctions between various corporate forms. A visit with a corporate business attorney will also cover topics such as insurance that the secretary of state's site does not. You will also want to discuss intellectual property issues, taxes (you can review basic information on that at http://www.dor.wa.gov). Good luck!

3. Eric J Camm

5

Answered . Most business attorneys offer a free consultation and can discuss the various legal issues facing a new enterprise. Would make sense to at least take advantage of that and then make an informed decision on how you want to proceed from there.

4. Samuel Michael Meyler

3

Answered . You do not necessarily need an attorney to start your own business, but it would be advisable to do so.

5. John P Corrigan

1

Answered . Speak with a tax/business attorney who is also a CPA and you will be ablento solve multiple issues as to proper entity, tax advantages, succession planning, tax returns and accounting records, payroll taxes, employee benefits and liability distinctions.....all from one source