Do I need a Consumer - Harassment lawyer?

Asked 7 months ago - Burlington, NC

I have been receiving phone calls from Kaplan University since November of 2013. They are looking for a lady with my maiden name out of Nevada or California. I spoke to them three times and each time they state they will stop calling the number(my cell phone) they googled (which they admit to doing) for Audrey Bolden (my maiden name). I have never attended Kaplan nor do I owe any money to them or any college institution. This week alone I have received four calls stating they have programs for me to help with my debt.

1. Lynn Ellen Coleman

Answered . Are these automatic dialer (pre-recorded) calls?

2. Jonathan Paul Ward

Answered . You may want to consult a consumer attorney, but you may want to consider looking up the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and following the requisite steps to force these people to stop calling you. If you do that and they persist, then you would have a stronger case and may want to consider hiring a lawyer. It really depends on how much time, energy, and money you want to spend on this issue. Good luck.

3. Shaye Larkin

Answered . It's not a good idea to put your personal information on this website since it is a public forum and anyone can see it. That said, you should keep a log of these calls, and when these people call you, get their contact information. Contact a consumer rights attorney near you to help you with the next steps - you can find a good one in your area by clicking the Find A Lawyer tab.