Do I need a collections attorney?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Margate, FL

My father was renting out his single family home. We had tenants evicted, for non payment. Went to mediation and settled, on payment. Tenants skipped out, in the middle of the night, according to neighbors, without paying what they said they would in the mediation. Went in for judgement, tenants didn't show up, my father got the judgement, in his favor. We have no idea where the tenants went. I know where they work, know where they bank, etc. I want to do everything correctly so my father can get his money back. He's 90 yrs old, lives in a ALF.
Please help, if you can. Thanks!

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Christopher Sprysenski


    Contributor Level 4


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . In order to enforce your judgment, you can serve upon the former tenants what is referred to as discovery in aide of execution. This allows you to find out what assets they hold which you may be able to garnish or place liens upon under your judgment.

    Most attorneys have services that, if you have former addresses or other information regarding your former tenants, can locate their current location. You need to schedule an appointment with an experienced collections attorney who can review your judgment, advise you regarding how to enforce it, and potentially perform the necessary execution steps for you.

  2. Dave Bahr

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Collections firms/attorneys have expertise in tracking down folks such as this. They usually charge a percentage of the amount recovered, but in my experience it is a good trade off. Unless you want to try to track these folks down by yourself, I suggest you contact your local state bar association's lawyer referral service ( and get the info on some collections firms.

    Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,209 answers this week

2,699 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,209 answers this week

2,699 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary