Do I need a Child Support Lawyer for Nevada or Ohio?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

I have a child support case in Ohio (where the children live) with enforcement being handled in NV (where I live). I am self-employed and about 5 months ago had started having bad luck financially, and that was also right when a modification review happened (not asked for by me). I sent all the documents asked, and they ended up ordering me to pay an amount more than my current documentation showed that I was even making (most likely due to an average of the last few years income). I was unable to pay the full amount and was paying Ohio partial payments, and then an account was opened in NV for enforcement and threatening to take my drivers license. I need to get the amount I'm obligated to pay down to a realistic amount and I don't know where to start.

1. John M Eccles

1

Best Answer

Answered . The best way to get the process going is to go to the Greystone Building (1900 East Flamingo Avenue) and file a request for modification. As Jill indicated, be ready to prove your case for a modification - and because it is less than three years, you will need to demonstrate a decrease in your income of 20% or more. It isn't a bad idea to hire counsel, because an attorney's request for review is less likely to get rejected than one submitted by a person representing themselves.

2. Jill K. Whitbeck

1

1

Answered . You need to file a motion to modify and can probably file that in Nevada now that there is an enforcement case here. However, since you were in court so recently, you will really have your work cut out for you to prove a lower income. A change of 20% is required under Nevada law to get a review more frequently than every 3 years. I highly recommend consulting with a Nevada lawyer about your factual circumstances and available proof to see if requesting a modification is worthwhile.