Do I need a child support lawyer

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Myers, FL

I went to Florida to see my daughter and when ask the mother to bring the baby for me to see her and for me to stay with the baby few days she tell me that the baby was whit other person and she have to pick her up to bring her to me. She ask if I can give her money for gas to pick her up when I call her to ask where she she tell me that she was in Walmart and she tell me that 1/2 was enough to go and come back. I never see my daughter and I always send her money. But know she move to Michigan but the was born in Florida and never find a birth certificate in my name

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Brenda A Drake


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It sounds like you have never filed a Petition to Determine Paternity so basically you have no rights. It also sounds like she has not filed a motion for child support from you. If she has moved permanently to Michigan and has lived there long enough to establish residency, you may need to contact an attorney there to seek establishing paternity so that you can have timesharing with the child (and child support will be set). If she has not yet established residency for the child in the other state, you may be able to file the petition here in Florida (if you are a resident which is uncertain given that you said you "went to Florida.") I suggest you contact legal counsel in Florida and Michigan to figure out where you stand.

    This response is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should... more
  2. Matthew Thomas Majeski


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would get a lawyer to review your situation regarding both your custody rights and the child support implications of establishing paternity in your case.

    Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,442 answers this week

3,008 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,442 answers this week

3,008 attorneys answering