Do I need a car accident attorney?

Asked 8 months ago - Beaumont, CA

I was in a rear end car accident over 4 months ago. I had pain the next day and went to my doctor 2 days after the accident. I have read could have back pain for awhile, but after 4 months I am wondering if something else could be wrong. A friend suggested going to chiropractor and the chiropractors office said I need approval from insurance company. I called the insurance company for this and instead of them helping me they are rushing to settle stating after 4 months could be from anything else. I went back to my doctor who treated me after the accident to see what he thinks and I have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks to determine if I need an MRI. The insurance company told me I have 2 weeks to accept their offer or the claim starts over.

1. Steven Mark Sweat

16

Answered . STOP! You are rushing the process with the claims adjuster. They are in the business of settling the claim both quickly and cheaply! If your doctor advises to obtain and MRI, you should absolutely get one done, have a qualified physician review the report and films and determine the extent of your present injury and your treatment options BEFORE settling any claims. You should also retain a quality personal injury attorney immediately. Any further interaction with the claims adjuster without an attorney to communicate on your behalf is going to reduce the value of your claim.

2. David Herman Hirsch

13

Answered . Personal injury attorneys typically take cases on a contingency basis, so it really doesn't cost you anything up front and you can consult with one about your case. It certainly seems like the insurance company is trying to push you into a settlement. I expect several personal injury attorneys will respond to your question, and you can also find one using the Find a Lawyer tab. Good luck to you...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. . That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

3. Marc Lazarus

12

Answered . All of the attorneys on this forum will say that you need the assistance of counsel in your case, and I agree with them. The insurance company is not looking out for your interests, but, rather, it is looking out for its own interests. An attorney will help you to get a much better outcome than you would likely obtain on your own. Think of it in these terms. The insurance company which deals with thousands of claims like yours every year is working diligently to minimize your claim, and it has countless attorneys at its disposal. Do you think the insurance company will be at all reluctant to use them in order to reduce your damages, where possible. In order to even the playing field, you really ought to have the benefit of attorney helping you as well. I would start interviewing attorneys at this time. The ones who respond to your post are knowledgeable, skilled, caring, and ready to assist you. You can also look at other attorneys on this site by clicking the find a lawyer option.

Marc Lazarus
    www.russellandlazarus.com
    (800)268-9228

4. Raymond Jacob Zolekhian

Pro

11

Answered . Call an attorney. You can still get compensated but the insurance company will put up a fight because of the delay in treatment.

5. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

11

Answered . DO NOT SIGN ANY SETTLEMENT WITHOUT THE ASSISTANCE OF COUNSEL. BEST OF LUCK.

6. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

12

Answered . Yes. You need to consult with an experienced CA personal injury attorney right away. As you can see, the insurance company is trying to bully and take advantage of you.

7. Christopher John Gansen

Pro

10

Answered . The insurance company is trying to save money by not authorizing treatment. Call a PI lawyer today.

Many firms, including mine, offer free consultations and handle cases as far from Los Angeles as yours.

Pro

7

Answered . You know the answer. Retain one of the above distinguished attorneys in your state

9. Michael Shemtoub

5

Answered . I work in California and deal with accidents like yours, so I am happy to answer your question. The answer to your question is you should hire an attorney ASAP. Whenever someone makes a claim against an insurance company the insurance company usually gives you a very difficult time. I've seen insurance companies lie to their own insured before. Do you feel that you are at the same medical condition that you were before the accident? As a basic premise I wouldn't handle your claim by yourself. The attorney you hire can likely refer you to a doctor, if you ask for one, who will see you with no upfront payment! I've done this many times to help my clients out. You should not wait a single day to hire a lawyer, we will advise you on the strategy of your case.

You have some great facts, but your case definitely needs to be developed further to corroborate your story. You should hire an attorney so you're not bullied around! There is no upfront cost to hire an attorney.

With a case like yours it seems like you have some good facts in order to get a high settlement. The most important thing when building your case are: liability (were you at fault); how bad are your injuries to your body. A lot of these things sound like they are not complete yet in your case so its something that is worth hiring an attorney for in order to get a sense of whether you have a case and what the strategy would be for you to build a strong case! I've handled many of these cases in the Beaumont, CA area.

Its very possible that your case is worth more than the $$$ that they will offer you by yourself. Call an attorney today, you won't regret it.

We all give free consultations! Make your life easier and hire a lawyer.