Skip to main content

Do i need a building permit to build a tool shed

Milford, MA |
Filed under: Real estate

the shed is 12X12X8 feet high single door

Attorney Answers 3


Almost every state and local municipality has adopted the International Building Code. Under the IBC no permit is needed for a shed your size. Check with you local code official and if he say it does need a permit ask him to show you the shed exemption and ask him to explain why it does not apply to you. Even if a permit is not needed, do something to hold it into the ground to avoid having a flying object in a major storm.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Responses are based solely on Pennsylvania law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful


You may or may not need a permit, but you do need to be careful about where you site the structure. Make sure that the site is in compliance with the Massachusetts Wetlands Act and that it is COMPLETELY on YOUR property. Always check with the folks at Town Hall first before starting construction.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Yes, a shed of that size will likely require a building permit. The Building Code excludes from its requirements buildings that are 120 square feet, or less. a 12x12 structure exceeds that requirement. Also, there are more regulations that need to be considered than just the building code.

The local building inspector should be consulted early in the process. The building inspector will inform you if a building permit is required, and will also likely apprise you of other local bylaws/ordinances that are implicated and require compliance (set backs, etc.)

If you disagree with the building inspector, there is an appeal process with short, strict deadlines.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided in response to a "hypothetical" question and provided for general, informational purposes and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The information presented is not legal advice and may change based additional information and research. It is recommended that you speak to an attorney to discuss your specific legal issues.

Mark as helpful

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics