Do i need a attorney if victim is requesting money to drop charges, can this drop the charges

Asked about 2 years ago - Fort Worth, TX

My husband is in custody , and charged with aggravated robbery no evidence just word of mouth, The guy who commited the crim is in custody and decided to throw my husbands name into it, and now my husband is arrested for somehting he did not do... however the victim knows that but says ge will get the charges dropped if we can pay him money to do so

1. Lewis Cooper Giles

1

Answered . First, your husband needs to get a criminal defense attorney. Aggravated robbery is a very serious crime.

Second, only the prosecutor can drop charges once they have been filed. Even if a victim no longer wants to prosecute, the prosecutor can still move forward on the case.

Third, the "victims" is attempting to blackmail your husband and that is a crime in and of itself.

You need to get a hold of a criminal defense lawyer immediately.

www.gilesandgiles.com

2. Amber Hill

Pro

2

Answered . If your husband is accused of robbery, he most certainly needs an attorney to represent him. Unless he wants to spend many years in prison and/or not assert any legal defenses.

3. Howard Robert Roitman

1

Answered . Extortion (also called blackmail, shakedown, outwresting, and exaction) is a criminal offence of unlawfully obtaining money, property, or services from a person, entity, or institution, through coercion. Refraining from doing harm is sometimes euphemistically called protection.Exaction refers not only to extortion or the unlawful demanding and obtaining of something through force,[1] but additionally, in its formal definition, means the infliction of something such as pain and suffering or making somebody endure something unpleasantUnder federal law extortion can be committed with or without the use of force and with or without the use of a weapon. A key difference is that extortion always involves a written or verbal threat whereas robbery can occur without any verbal or written threat.Neither extortion nor blackmail require a threat of a criminal act, such as violence, merely a threat used to elicit actions, money, or property from the object of the extortion. Such threats include the filing of reports (true or not) of criminal behavior to the police, revelation of damaging facts (such as pictures of the object of the extortion in a compromising position), etc