Skip to main content

Do I need a attorney if my family has been denied low income housing because of my child disability

Colorado Springs, CO |

we were denied low income housing because of my childs developmental disability for the fact that they would help a family first who didnt have a child with a disability then take chances that my child could destroy one of their properties. I ten contacted the housing authority which said that they discriminated a child with a disability and turned our complaint over to the civil rights department which sent me grip of paperwork back to fill out to start the process but i have no clue how to understand or complete the paperwork in the correct way what should i do or who do i receive help from here in colorado springs do i need representation to help me

civil right for children with a disability who are discriminated against

Attorney Answers 3


This is a duplicate question. You can speak to legal aid for assistance in completing the paperwork. You could also speak with an attorney who represents tenants and handles discrimination cases in housing. Since there are generally attorney's fees attached to these types of cases attorneys are willing to take them on for the guarantee of fees if you prevail.
Best of luck.

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree


Without doing any research into your issue, I am suspecting that the person who denied you housing violated a number of rules and possibly the Americans with Disabilities Act. Yes, you should contact a lawyer to discuss your options.

Eric Sims Jr., owns and founded the Flatirons Legal Group, LLC, Mr. Sims has handled and/or litigated a host of causes and issues. Mr. Sims offers this advice only to make suggestions. Every case, every situation, and every person dictate different solutions. By answering inquires here on AVVO, Mr. Sims does not in anyway create an Attorney/Client relationship. In every situation from divorce to wrongful death, speeding to manslaughter, workman's compensation to wrongful termination, civil rights to discrimination, everyone seeking answers in this forum should and must contact a lawyer. A lawyer can help guide a client through the legal forest in which the client finds themselves.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree


As I agreed in your identical question, yes you definitely need an attorney familiar with the ADA

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics