DO I NEED A ATTORNEY IF I WANT TO DO CRIMINAL CHARGES FOR SOMEONE THAT TOOK MONEY FROM MY MOM

Crowley, LA |

NOT SURE POLICE SAID THAT I CAN DO CRIMINAL CHARGES...BUT THEY SAID THAT I MIGHT NEED A ATTORNEY..

An attorney would be prudent, maybe necessary, to file a civil complaint for damaged, but a criminal action usually starts with a police report. One would expect the police to cooperate, accept the report, and forward it to the prosecuting attorney. If this is not happening, an attorney might be able to provide some assistance in reporting the crime.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

thank you so much..my sister in law took money from my moms checking account and her name was not on account...she did this by atm card and on line banking..so would the bank also maybe have to give money back or would it be all on my sister-in-law...thankls

Paula Brown Sinclair

Paula Brown Sinclair

I am not licensed to practice law in your state and do not wish to risk a complaint for unauthorized practice. You really need to consult with a local attorney.

You would not need an attorney to have criminal charges brought against the one that victimized you mother. You just need to file a police report. However, for a civil action, to recover the money that was taken, depending upon the amount that was taken, you may want to contact a civil attorney.

Thank you...she took around 4500.00.I am going to go ahead and do that. ...

For criminal charges, file a report with the police. As to a civil case, consult with counsel.

i have to file criminal charges in louisiana..because this happen in louisiana..my mom is in a nursing home here in org.with me..if i have p.o.a i can do this with out her..is this correct..thanks..she could not make the trip over there.

Michael Douglas Shafer

Michael Douglas Shafer

Yes. Consult with an attorney regarding the poa

If someone stole money from you, you may want a lawyer to also sue them and monitor the criminal case. Sometimes the police and DA's are not very responsive to victims, but a lawyer may help. Also, if the criminal case falls apart, you can still sue in civil court. The burden of proof is less in civil court, so it may be easier to recover your money that way. However, if the person has no money, it will be difficult to recover in civil or criminal court.

You do not need a lawyer to file a criminal complaint.

This response does not creat an attorney client relationship. In all cases, I recommend you seek a paid consultation with an attorney with expertise in this area.