DO I NEED A ATTORNEY IF I WANT TO DO CRIMINAL CHARGES FOR SOMEONE THAT TOOK MONEY FROM MY MOM

Crowley, LA |

NOT SURE POLICE SAID THAT I CAN DO CRIMINAL CHARGES...BUT THEY SAID THAT I MIGHT NEED A ATTORNEY..

1. An attorney would be prudent, maybe necessary, to file a civil complaint for damaged, but a criminal action usually starts with a police report. One would expect the police to cooperate, accept the report, and forward it to the prosecuting attorney. If this is not happening, an attorney might be able to provide some assistance in reporting the crime.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

2. You would not need an attorney to have criminal charges brought against the one that victimized you mother. You just need to file a police report. However, for a civil action, to recover the money that was taken, depending upon the amount that was taken, you may want to contact a civil attorney.

3. For criminal charges, file a report with the police. As to a civil case, consult with counsel.

4. If someone stole money from you, you may want a lawyer to also sue them and monitor the criminal case. Sometimes the police and DA's are not very responsive to victims, but a lawyer may help. Also, if the criminal case falls apart, you can still sue in civil court. The burden of proof is less in civil court, so it may be easier to recover your money that way. However, if the person has no money, it will be difficult to recover in civil or criminal court.

5. You do not need a lawyer to file a criminal complaint.

This response does not creat an attorney client relationship. In all cases, I recommend you seek a paid consultation with an attorney with expertise in this area.