Do I legally have to pay for something I did not take? Should I stop all contact with the accuser?

Asked over 1 year ago - Pittsburgh, PA

I worked as a babysitter for a couple who also had 3 other girls doing the same. They accused that someone was stealing from them. They are demanding money for items in exchange for NOT pressing charges w police. They made a comment that in order for them to file a claim w homeowners, there has to be a police report. I questioned a local police officer about this and he said that unless they have security cameras in the house, they have no proof of any of us stealing. The officer also told me to stop ALL contact w the couple. Is he correct or even though I personally swore to them that I didn't take anything, they still are demanding that I pay them for certain items that are missing. They did fire all 4 of us. They have also threatened to get us fired from our other jobs.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Christopher Edward Ezold


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My practice includes employment, business and health care law. Before I respond to your inquiry, I must state that we have not spoken, I have not reviewed the relevant documents and facts, and I do not represent you. Therefore, my discussion below is not a legal opinion, but is informational only. Finally, my discussion applies only to issues to which Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey or Federal law applies.

    That being said, a police report does not require that a 'perpetrator' be identified. The couple are attempting to extort at least three of you - and maybe all of you, as the items could have been stolen by someone else. I don't see the police doing anything other than making a report. As far as getting you fired from future jobs - they are walking on thin ice. Their threat appears to be extortion from your facts (which is both a civil and criminal issue) and could lead to claims by you for defamation/tortious interference with contract. I agree that there is no need to be in any further contact with them. You may even want to report them to the police for the extortionate threats they are making.

    /Christopher E. Ezold/

    The Ezold Law Firm, P.C.
    Employment, Business and Health Law
    One Belmont Avenue, Suite 501
    Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
    (610) 660-5585

    I am an attorney licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the States of Delaware and New Jersey. My... more
  2. Robert C. Keller

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Mr. Ezold has provided an excellent response to your question.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,436 answers this week

2,846 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,436 answers this week

2,846 attorneys answering