Do I have to wait for new B2 and i-94 before filing i-20 and F1?

Arlington, VA |

I was in US legally for 2,5 years. My L2 visa expired 1 months ago. At the same time I filed for B2, and it is still in process. I want to study and get F1 visa. Do I have to wait for B2 before filing i-20 or can I do it right now? Thanks you

You cannot file two applications for a change of status at the same time. However, you can go abroad and apply for an F-1 student visa if you wish.

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. Depends. Talk to the DSO.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

3. One needs to be in a valid nonimmigrant status to seek change of status. You are not.