Do i have to tolerate a hostile workplace, i am being harassed on a daily basis, the supervisor is getting in my face.

Jersey City, NJ |

Yelling and screaming at me like i'm a child. There are threats of 100 men waiting in line for my job. A request for shift change to afford this person has been denied. I am having anexity, heart palpations. I have a family to support and need my job but not the destructive abuse.

1. If the extent of the harassment is simply the supervisor being a jerk, that wouldn't be actionable. If it is sexual in nature, or if you are being singled out for abusive treatment based on a protected class (race, sex, gender, religion, age, disability), you might have a claim. You should speak with an employment lawyer in NJ with specifics about the nature of the abuse.

Answers to questions are meant to be general only, are not intended to be legal advice and do not create an attorney-client relationship. Answers to questions are based on NY law, and the laws of other states may create different rights and obligations.

2. I agree. Just because someone is a jerk, does not mean they or the company can be sued. If you cannot get a shift change away from this person, why not try looking for a new position, internallly or with a new company.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

3. Are you a woman? I ask because of your bosses threat that there are 100 MEN waiting for your job. The law in NJ doesn't protect you from a boss who is being mean to everyone. It protects you from a boss who is singling employees out on the basis of their gender, ethnicity/race or disability.

4. What is motivating your supervisor to treat you in this way? You may have a case depending how you answer this quesitons. Go see an employment law attorney ASAP.