Do I have to tell anyone that I got remarried?

Chicago, IL |

I recently got divorced (about a year ago) and I am looking to get remarried. For reasons that I do not want to get into, I do not want to tell anyone about my new marriage, but at the same time, I also want to be on the right side of the law. Am I legally obligated to tell my ex that I got married (we have kids - I have sole custody)? How about my employer - am I obligated to tell them? Will my new marriage be public record regardless of what I do?

I apologize for not giving more information. I'd be happy to answer any and all questions required to get a good answer. Thank you for your help in advance!

The answers to all your inquiries

YES.

Alan James Brinkmeier

Alan James Brinkmeier

If you truly want to remain legal, you will comply with the law and be forthcoming.

You cannot lie about your marital status. It is an important factor for purposes of taxes, employment and possibly your former spouse. Look at your Judgment for Dissolution of Marriage and your parenting agreement. You may be obligated to tell your ex., especially if your remarriage affects child support or visitation. If there is no mention in those documents and support or visitation are no affected, then you are not obligated to tell your ex but your children most certainly will speak of it. Your new marriage will be public record but it is very rare that anyone every looks at those records unless there is a very specific reason to do so. For best guidance, you should speak in privacy with a lawyer where you can reveal all your details in a confidential situation.

CAVEAT: The above assumes that you are not hiding your remarriage because your new spouse is a convicted felon or a sex offender required to register that status.

It would not affect child support, and he pays 0 maintenance due to the fact that I have my own job. And I did not say "lie about it", did I? I was asking whether or not the law obligates me to inform him.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

i think your ex is entitled to know with whom the children are living. so tell that but i do not believe you need to say you are married. it may effect your tax situation so you may want to adjust your w-4 form. if you get a marriage license, yes it will be public record but who will search for it? psychologically, what does it say to your spouse that you do not wish people to know you are married?

Yes, yes, and yes.