Do i have to talk to the police about a crime i witness if i said something in the past?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Richmond, VA

I dont want to b invovled because im fearing my life,the police want to use me as a witness and i dont want to b invovled with it,because if im goin to b a witness they shouldnt have put my personal wereabouts online for the public to see if its a investagation,and i need to know if i can file a lawsuit aganist who did it.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Luke Joseph Nichols


    Contributor Level 12
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You never have to talk to the police. They only way you can be forced to talk about something you witnessed is if you are a subpeoned to court as a witness. If that happens you can hire an attoreny to make a motion to quash the subpeona inorder to convince a judge to withdraw the subpeona.

    Luke J Nichols
    Spectrum Legal Defense
    (703) 383-9222

  2. Omer Jaleel

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You should contact an attorney. To answer your main question. The police cannot force you to talk to them that being said you may be served with a court subpoena in the future which is a court order that you cannot ignore.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,411 answers this week

2,981 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,411 answers this week

2,981 attorneys answering