Do i have to sign over title to my car, if taken by the Sheriff as forefiture specification? when is xfer of ownership reported?

Asked over 2 years ago - Galion, OH

my car was taken as a forefiture specification. my car is now the property of the Sheriffs dept. i did however get a notice to renew the license plates for it. i assume that the bmv doesn't know yet, that the car isn't in my possession (hasn't been for 6mo). how long does it usually take for the Sheriffs dept to do the title transfer of ownership? do i need to contact anyone in regards of getting the title out of my name (i am assuming it is, since i got the plate renewal registration application).

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Dennis Armand DiMartino


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . The short answer to your question is that YOU DON'T TECHNICALLY NEED TO DO ANYTHING AT THIS POINT.

    Some agencies have you sign title to eliminate a little work for that agency. The Judge on your case signed a Court Order that legally removed your ownership rights of that vehicle already. That means the agency will just present a certified copy of that Court Order to the Motor Vehicle Title Clerk. A new title will be issued in the agency's name so it can be used by the agency, sold at auction, etc.

    If you want, you certainly can send the BMV a typed letter by certified mail advising that you are no longer the true and legal owner of that vehicle. Reference the Court case, Judge, and forfeiture Order in the letter. Enclose a copy of that Court Order if you can. Yout lawyer, the Bailiff, or the Clerk of Courts can get you a copy.

    I hope this answers yoyr question. Good luck in the case and beyond!

    Atty. Dennis A. DiMartino
    1032 Boardman-Canfield Road
    Suite 103
    Youngstown, OH 44512-4238
    330.629.9030 Ext. 111 Phone
    330.629.9036 FAX

    The above information is shared for educational and discussion purposes only. No Attorney-Client relationship is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,717 answers this week

3,188 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,717 answers this week

3,188 attorneys answering