Do i Have to sign an employment agreement after 20 years. Im a property manager in california Thanks

Asked about 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

My employer was recently sued by another apartment manager for wrongful termination, and unpaid wages. Now my employer wants to protect herself by asking me to sign what appears to be a one sided agreement.

1. Arie Ebrahimian

8

Best Answer

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. California is a at-will employment statement. Your employer can require you to sign an employment agreement. That said, have you been paid all of your wages? If you're not an exempt employee, you may be entitled to overtime and double time wages depending on the number of hours worked per day and/or week. You may want to have an attorney review the agreement before you sign it.

DISCLAIMER - NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP: The information provided in this email is intended for informational purposes only. This email does not necessarily reflect current legal or factual developments and is general in nature. Nothing set forth in this email should be construed as providing legal advice regarding an individual situation. Furthermore, the information provided in this email is provided “as is” without any warranty of any kind, either express or implied. Attorney Arie Ebrahimian makes no warranty, express or implied, about the correctness, accuracy or reliability of the information set forth in this email. The information provided in this email should not be construed as legal advice and does not constitute an engagement of legal services with Attorney Arie Ebrahimian or establish an attorney-client relationship absent a written agreement for legal services. Thank you.

2. Michael Charles Doland

10

Answered . Since employment is "at will" in California, you do not "have to" sign but you may be terminated if you don't.

3. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

8

Answered . No, you do not have to sign an employment agreement. However, if you do not sign it, then the employer has the legal right to terminate your employment at any time.

4. Habib Hasbini

3

2

Answered . I also concur with my colleagues. California is an at will State. Your employer does not need any reason to terminate your employment. Your employer could terminate you for no reason or for a legitimate reason like refusing to sign an employment agreement.