Do I have to sign a request for authorization for medical records?

Auburn, WA |

I am receiving long-term disability and SS disability payments due to open-heart surgery and further heart issues since 2009. I recently met with a private investigater from the long-term disabilty office per request from the insurance company. I was not given prior notification from my insurance company about the meeting. Approximately 3 weeks later I received a "Request for Signed Authorization" from the insurance company to obtain medical records from additional sources where I had received non-related medical care. My question: Am I required to sign the authorization form? What are the consequences of not doing so? Thank you very much for your assistance. I do appreciate it!

Yes, you have to sign it if you want to continue to receive benefits. Sounds as though you might need a consult with an attorney who does disability actions. If you don't all ready have one, Howard Graham is very good.

Hope this helps. Elizabeth Powell

Using Avvo does not form an attorney client relationship.

It depends on the terms of the policy, but in all likelihood yes.

Typically, when you are receiving disability benefits from an insurance company you must continue to qualify for benefits under the terms of the policy. Sometimes insurance companies require continuing proof of disability every month, sometimes less frequently.

In order to prove that you continue to be disabled, they have to see your medical records to see if you are, based on them, unable to work in your or any occupation (depending on the policy terms).

If the policy doesn't explicitly say you have to sign the form, I'm certain there is language in the policy that would allow them to suspend your benefits until they receive your medical records or terminate them entirely.

One of the problems with this is that doctors, in my experience, are not very good about properly documenting records in support of someone's disability.

This type of work is 99% of what my firm does. I would be happy to discuss your claim any time you would like.