Do I have to show up for a termination of guardianship hearing?

Asked about 1 year ago - Modesto, CA

If the court experts are all recommending guardianship be terminated and I am the guardian, do I have to attend or will I get in trouble for refusing to attend? I am not planning to make a statement or argue it, I just want the case done. I have no attorney at this time. I feel that attending would be too upsetting for me and I have high blood pressure and anxiety.

1. Charles Adam Shultz

4

2

Answered . The problem if you dont attend is you have no say in what happens. The court could possibly do more than just terminate. Unless you attend, you are too open. I would not recommend it.

2. Oliver Alexander Greenwood

4

1

Answered . Go to court. Having that type of closure will be helpful, then you will know that the matter is complete.

3. Scott Dale Mitchell

4

Answered . You can get court-ordered visitation as a prior guardian if you request it and the court finds it appropriate. If you absolutely do not want to go, then I would at least contact the other party and let them know you aren't showing. I would advise you go ahead and go however. You never know what could work out in court.