Skip to main content

Do i have to respond to divorce papers when leaving for military service?

San Diego, CA |

I was married young so we have no assets, car, or house we have 1 child if thats relevent and i was recently served with divorce papers on the 29th of febuary . I have 30 days to respond but i leave for trainning to gerogia becuase i am in the army national guard, i leave the 19th of march. So do i still have to respond to the papers since i will leave before the 30 days are up?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Yes! Otherwise, your default will likely be sought and entered. You should promptly consult (or preferably retain) an experienced Family Law Attorney to advise (and represent) you. Because you are in the military, you may have special rights which would be lost if you allow your default to be entered.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.



READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.


yes;; 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.


File a response, and invoke your rights under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.

This response is for information purposes only, it does not create any attorney-client relationship. Responses to questions posted on this Forum are of a general nature only. Because it is not possible to have all of the facts of your issue addressed in this forum, you should consult with an attorney to review the unique circumstances specific to your situation.


I agree with my colleague .you MUST respond to the divorce papers within 30 days. You do have privileges but not responding is NOT one of them in this case.
Think that u have a child . Taking a divorce becomes his/her problem when u just try to avoid the procedure. Your marriage is dead anyway. Get your divorce arrange the custody with a good and reasonable attorney.

Disclaimer: The information contained in this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a legal advice on any subject. No recipients of content from this site,clients or otherwise,should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. The Karamanlis Powers Law Offices expressly disclaims all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this website, weblogs, twitter, facebook, google+.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer