Do i have to respond to divorce papers when leaving for military service?

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

I was married young so we have no assets, car, or house we have 1 child if thats relevent and i was recently served with divorce papers on the 29th of febuary . I have 30 days to respond but i leave for trainning to gerogia becuase i am in the army national guard, i leave the 19th of march. So do i still have to respond to the papers since i will leave before the 30 days are up?

1. Donald Frederick Conviser

2

Answered . Yes! Otherwise, your default will likely be sought and entered. You should promptly consult (or preferably retain) an experienced Family Law Attorney to advise (and represent) you. Because you are in the military, you may have special rights which would be lost if you allow your default to be entered.

2. Athina Karamanlis Powers

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague .you MUST respond to the divorce papers within 30 days. You do have privileges but not responding is NOT one of them in this case.
    Think that u have a child . Taking a divorce becomes his/her problem when u just try to avoid the procedure. Your marriage is dead anyway. Get your divorce arrange the custody with a good and reasonable attorney.

3. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . Yes.

4. Philip Douglas Cave

Pro

Answered . yes

5. Scott Allen Scholl

Pro

Answered . File a response, and invoke your rights under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act.