Professional
legal advice
for $99.

Avvo Instant
Talk to a lawyer

Do I HAVE TO request to amend a police accident report if "my statements" in it don't match my real view of the accident?

If the police version of "my statements" is not accurate (e.g., the officer didn't include all I said or misunderstood some of it), do I HAVE TO make a request to amend it? Otherwise, if the claim goes to the court and it turns out that my real statements don't quite match the police version in the report, would that be a problem?

San Jose, CA -

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Personal Injury Lawyer - San Jose, CA

It is not possible to have the report itself changed. The best that will happen, is an amendment will be added to reflect new info or your position as to what was said, etc. Depending upon what the report left out, how the cop misunderstood, etc. it could have little effect on case, or could have huge impact. Before you contact police on this, you should have this reviewed carefully by a local injury lawyer. The words you use on the amendment etc need to be carefully written.

Benjamin P. Cloward

Benjamin P. Cloward

Personal Injury Lawyer - Las Vegas, NV

I agree with the advice already given. You should request an amendment be made to the police report with the correct information to ensure that the accurate version is what is recorded.

Jeffrey David Bohn

Jeffrey David Bohn

Personal Injury Lawyer - Fresno, CA

No, you don't have to but it will help you settle with the insurance company. California Evidence Code does not allow police reports into evidence in a trial since they are hearsay and notoriously unreliable. I've won and settled numerous cases with police reports having found my clients at fault, but you need to fight early and hard because insurance companies assume that police are right.
California Injury Lawyer

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

You should first call one of the lawyers in your state above to review the facts of the case, and then you can be advised by that lawyer.

Martha Bronson

Martha Bronson

Personal Injury Lawyer - Tracy, CA

If the police report does not accurately reflect what you intended to convey to the police, then take steps to correct it. If you have found this helpful and/or the best answer, please let the attorney know by checking the appropriate box below. It will be greatly appreciated. Thank you and best of luck to you.

Michael Shemtoub

Michael Shemtoub

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

This is not an uncommon occurrence. However, you should have an attorney experienced in this type of claim review your police report and discuss what options you may have for getting it amended. I have personally dealt with many other California claims such as this one. Having proper representation can protect your cause of

Christopher Steven Hoffmann

Christopher Steven Hoffmann

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Saint Louis, MO

On few occassions do police officers change a car accident report. Most letters go unanswered. A phone call to the officer or his superior will get the job done assuming he agrees that he made a mistake. In most instances where there is no willingness to change the accident report, I suggest a call to the officer with a letter confirming the call and the inaccuracy requesting change. Then, a separate letter to the officers supervisor if the error is not corrected. Use this as evidence in the car accident case. Check with your local lawyer for local procedures.