Skip to main content

Do I have to report gambling winnings to Social Security Disability

Connersville, IN |

I applied for Disability when I lost my job in March 2012. I was not eligible to receive it until August of 2012. In June I won money gambling at a casino. Upon doing my taxes for 2012 I wondered if I was suppose to report that to Disability? If I am to do so will it cut off my disability benefits?

Attorney Answers 2


If you are getting SSDI - Social Security Disability Insurance benefits (and not SSI), then no, you do not have to report the winnings to Social Security. SSI is need based and requires that sort of notice. SSDI is based on what you earned and the taxes you paid, so it is a benefit you are entitled to regardless of any money you inherit or win at a lottery.

You may owe taxes on the winnings, but that is a tax question. I suggest you tal to a tax preparer about that issue.

Best of luck to you.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


As Mr. Farrell correctly states, if you were receiving SSDI, you do not need to report this. However, if you are on SSI, you will need to report it.

Matthew Johnson phone# 206.747.0313 is licensed in the State of Washington and performs bankruptcy, short sale negotiations, and estate planning in Whatcom, Skagit, Snohomish, King and Pierce counties. The response does not constitute specific legal advice, which would require a full inquiry by the attorney into the complete background of the facts and circumstances surrounding this matter; rather, it is intended to be general legal information based on the limited information provided by the inquirer; it This response also does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established after a conflict of interest evaluation is completed, your case is accepted, and a fee agreement is signed. Johnson Legal Group, PLLC

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Social security topics

Recommended articles about Social security

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics