Do I have to remove a deceased name from a car title before I sale it.

Greensboro, NC |

I have my sisters POA, she is in nursing home. Car is titled jointly with her dead husband. Do I have to get his name off the title before I can sale ir.

1. The answer to your question depends on whether your sister's husband died with or without a will and whether the estate has been administered yet or not. You may need to take steps to administer the estate through the clerk of court, or it may be as simple as filling out a simple DMV form.

The North Carolina DMV publishes a title manual that explains to DMV personnel what documents are needed to transfer title from a deceased person to someone else. Go to this link: http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/NCTitleManual.pdf and the information on dealing with deceased owners starts at Chapter 4, Page 8 of the manual.

(The attorney responding is licensed only in the state of North Carolina. This response does NOT constitute legal advice and does NOT create an attorney/ client relationship! Rather, the response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Although a response is provided to the specific question, there may be other facts and law relevant to the issue that the questioner has left out and which would make the reply unsuitable. Therefore, the questioner should not base any decision on the answer, but should confer with an attorney in person about the specifics of his or her case.)

Business topics