Do I have to provide salary history, and education dates on online application?

New York, NY |

Hello, I just received an informal job offer via email. they said they will send the formal one, once I complete their online application (verified by a third party). I have some questions: -Can i list my salary history as confidential? I'm worried that if they see my previous salary was very low, they may retract the offer -do i have to list every job from the past seven years? there were jobs that i truly forgot the dates (and they are in different industries) -do i have to list my high school and college graduation dates (i'm worried about age discrimination) any help would be greatly appreciated.

These aren't legal issues.

You have an offer. It is contingent on completing the application and employment process. You can refuse to provide any info you choose> If you refuse any requested info, the prospective employer may accede to your position or the employer may go away and hire someone else more forthcoming. That's your risk. But none of this is mandated by law. Do what you will and accept the consequences.

Most applicants in this economy would be more than happy to provide the info requested, but YMMV.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

You should repost under contracts and labor law. There is nothing pertaining to education law in NYS in your query.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Refusal may end in retraction of the offer.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us via Twitter (!/WhiteRoseMarks) or Facebook ( if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights