Do I have to provide both my EIN and SSN as an independent contractor?

Asked 12 months ago - Lake Arrowhead, CA

I am an independent contractor and provided this company with a W-9 form using my EIN. However they are requesting a copy of my driver's license and my social security card. They are also requesting a physical address instead of my mailing address which is a PO Box and are refusing to release payment to me until I do this.

1. Athina Karamanlis Powers

Pro

Answered . By providing your license and SS Card you provide all your identification info to that company.
    ASK THEM TO PUT THEIR REQUEST and the reasoning for that request IN writing and address it to your P O BOX address.
    If you are a licensed contractor just show them your driver's license or State ID to identify you as the person you say you are.
    That's more than enough. Some companies do those tricks to take time or avoid paying you or someone accused for something in the company and they try to get more info about you.
    Just show them an ID that shows who you are.
    Nothing else.