Do I have to pay toll violations to another state if I didn't run a toll booth? How can I resolve this, long distance?

Geneva, OH |

I honestly never ran a toll booth- how can you? Illinois is trying to collect money for something I absolutely didn't do. I have asked for proof from the lawyer who is handling the case, but they will not send me any proof/pictures.

It is difficult to advise you without seeing the specific document that you received. Does it have any notice of your right to dispute the fine? I'd guess that a good starting point would be to send a WRITTEN notice of dispute to the attorney by CERTIFIED MAIL, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED.

Otherwise, contact an Illinois traffic lawyer for advice. You will have to weigh the cost of legal fees against the amount of the fine imposed in deciding whether or not you want to go this route (no pun intended).

2. I agree with counsel. You may need to obtain LOCAL counsel to defend. Again, you have to weigh the cost of counsel (and the principle of the matter) against the cost of the fine. If you want to fight it, retain counsel in that city. Good luck.

The above information is not, nor intend to be, legal advice. You SHOULD consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Based on this response no attorney-client relationship has been formed. If your matter is in Cuyahoga County or surrounding counties, we invite you to contact us. Please visit our website at www.kirnerandboldt.com. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information until such time and attorney-client relationship is formed. Attorneys in this firm are only licensed to practice in the state of Ohio and have no specific information as to the laws and rules of other states and none of the information provided is intended to be applied to the laws of other states.

3. You would have to hire an attorney in the area where the alleged toll booth was. The problem is that it often costs a lot more to fight the ticket than just pay it. That is your call though. Good luck.

Attorney Chris Beck
    Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
    Beavercreek, Ohio
    www.becklawofficellc.com
    (937)510-6110

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

4. It is absolutely possible to run a toll booth in Illinois. Illinois has "open road" tolls that read a prepaid IPass device as you pass. Usually, you have a limited amount of time to pay a toll you missed. It may be possible just to pay the toll and get the prosecutor to dismiss the charge if he is in a good mood. If not, then you may have to hire local counsel to defend you against any false accusations.