Do I have to pay the highway patrol a $750 charge two and half years after a DUI?

Asked over 1 year ago - Monterey, CA

I was convicted of a DUI two and half years ago, and today I received a bill in the mail from the highway patrol attempting to collect $750 from me for costs associated with their time and my incarceration. There was no emergency, I had a flat tire and was waiting for AAA to show when a sheriff pulled up. They then called the highway patrol to transport me to the hospital for blood work then to jail. They also mailed this letter on the 20th of march, and expect payment on the 18th of April. What is the best response to this and how do I avoid paying it?

1. Nicholas Maurice Rosenberg

Pro

4

Answered . This appears to be for the cost of law enforcement and was not ordered by the Judge as restitution. You can ignore it and chances are quite low they will pursue the matter given the low amount. Good luck.

2. Seth Andrew Weinstein

4

Answered . They have started to do this more and more, likely due to the fact that California is broke. If the Judge did not order this as Restitution, you are clear unless they sue you in Small Claims Court.

Seth Weinstein, Esq.
    Southern California Criminal Defense Attorney
    (310) 707-7131
    www.sethweinsteinlaw.com

3. Ryan Patrick Murphy

2

Answered . I believe my office already responded to this question. Please see the answer already posed.

4. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . Unless it was ordered by the judge as restitution, you are not under a legal obligation. They may have a right to sue you.