Do I have to pay the ambulance or fire truck fee?

Sacramento, CA |

I was on my bike and hit by a car the other day, the bystanders called the ambulance right away, and then the paramedic came and checked on me, they checked my neck, blood pressure and some other stuff, nothing went wrong but some scratches and bruise. They said it was totally on me whether go to the hospital or not, the I decided not to go. So they had me signed on a document(they had my name ,birthday, address and phone number) and then the firemen drove me home( I did not get on the ambulance, but I did get on the fire truck).
Before I went home, the police came and took some record. But I did not have any information of the car driver or the policeman.
I thought the whole thing was over, then a guy told me that I might receive a bill from the ambulance or the fire truck. Is it so?

1. Get a local personal injury lawyer if you were injured to resolve everything

2. Yes, you will have to pay the ambulance and/or fire truck for the services that were rendered - whatever they were.

Assuming the other party (car driver) was 100% at fault, the payments made should be included in your demand for compensation. There are a number of issues for you to explore in this scenario. To get you started, do a little research on the legal theory of "Negligence." Also do some research on the type of "Damages" that you can be compensated for.

Here is a link to California Civil Jury Instructions. Check out Series 400, 700 and 3900:
    --> https://www.justia.com/trials-litigation/docs/caci/

As always, you are strongly advised to immediately consult with a local attorney - consultations are usually free so take advantage.

Best of luck to you!

This information is not legal advice, does not create an attorney-client relationship, and is intended for general informational purposes only. Said information is given in the context of California law.

3. You likely will, which is why you need(ed) to get the other driver's information.

4. You might not. If you refused ambulance, they shouldn't charge you. Fire dept doesn't usually charge for this type of call. This may vary by city.

5. May be. If you were injured:You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

6. I would be very surprised if you did not get a bill, especially if it was Sacramento Fire Dept. If you do get a bill you should check to see if you are covered for uninsured motorist (UM). If you own a car check to see if you have UM coverage. You also may be covered if you are an insured under someone else's policy (usually a family member you live with) Good luck.

7. Have you contacted the police to find out if they have identified the other driver? If they have, turn this matter over to the other party's insurance carrier. Sorry you were hurt.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.