Do I have to pay restitution for a crime if I am mentally disabled? Can my disability check be garnished?

Asked about 1 year ago - Long Beach, CA

I will likely owe a massive amount of restitution for a crime that wouldn't have happened if I didn't have my mental health issues. Can they garnish my future disability check to pay for this?

1. Michael Moshe Levin

5

Answered . Yes. Restitution is to make the victim whole. It isn't punishment.

2. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

4

Answered . If this is in Long Beach you should speak to your attorney about the restitution. There are factors that may assist you in this area. Good luck.

www.YourCriminalDefenseLawyer.com
    for Fairness / for Your Freedom because sometimes good people find themselves in bad situations
    (562) 216-2940

3. Sharon Paris Babakhan

3

1

Answered . yes restitution has nothing to do with your mental issues. The minute you pled guilty or no contest you are on the hook for restitution and any source of income you have it may be garnished however it is only if you fail to pay restitution. If you pay restitution (even if small monthly payments) no one will garnish your wages or check.

4. Theodor Kaplun

4

Answered . Yes you're wages can be garnished to pay restitution.