Do i have to pay my deceased fathers income taxes?

Asked over 2 years ago - Summerfield, FL

He had no equity in his home, no cash in the back, only an ira which he willed to me. Thank you

1. Christopher Michael Larson

4

Answered . If your father had unpaid income taxes, they will be taken from his estate. You will file a final return for him and this will capture the owed taxes before you even get the assets.

As far as the IRA, that thing is probably going to be taxed depending on what type it is. But if it is the type where no taxes were paid upon contribution, the IRA will be taxable and will not receive a stepped-up basis.

Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    www.insightlawfirm.com

2. Phillip Monroe Smith

4

Answered . You have no responsiblity to pay anyone's income taxes but your own. I wouldn't recommend accepting appointment as executor of of your father's estate if there is nothing but liabilities in the estate. Pay the taxes on the IRA be done with this matter. See a probate attorney before you make any further decisions.

Phillip M. Smith Jr.
    Los Angeles Business &Tax Attorney
    Call: 855 IRS TAXBIZ

3. Arthur Harold Geffen

Pro

4

Answered . I would add one more thing to the answers here and that is usually IRA's pass by beneficiary designation as opposed to being willed to someone. If that is the case here, it bypasses the probate estate and is only part of the estate for estate tax purposes. It may not be reachable by the IRS for income taxes that are past due or will be due in the future. Talk to a local probate and estate lawyer.