Do I have to pay for medical attention I refused and obtained against my will?

College Station, TX |

I attempted suicide, and ended up being brought by police in ambulance to the hospital. As i entered the hospital I refused to sign any paperwork authorizing any medical procedure as well as the paperwork that would make me responsible for paying the bills. I went back to the hospital, and found out that it is on record, written by the staff, "The patience refused to sign paperwork, as he stated that he will not pay for the medical attention received." So, my question is, am I legally bound to pay for the bill?, I am already getting calls from a collectors company stating that i have to pay otherwise my credit will suffer.

Thanks.

1. Yes you are still responsible. You received the services and were "Enriched" by receiving them.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided here is informational in nature only. This attorney may not be licensed in the jurisdiction which you have a question about so the answer could be only general in nature. Visit Steve Zelinger's website: http://www.stevenzelinger.com/

2. You may or may not be liable. If you had a legal right to refuse treatment, you should not be responsible for treatment provided anyway. However, you probably didn't have a legal right to refuse emergency treatment, which probably is what was provided.

Lawrence Friedman, Bridgewater, NJ. Certified as an Elder Law Attorney by the ABA approved National Elder Law Foundation, former Chair NJ State Bar Association Elder and Disabilities Law Section, Member Board of Consultors of NJSBA Real Property, Trusts & Estates Law Section, Vice Chair Special Needs Law Section of National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, and Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Taxation from N.Y.U. School of Law. Visit SpecialNeedsNJ.com for articles and Q&A on elder law, special needs, wills, trusts, estates, and tax. Visit SpecialNeedsNJ.com/blog and subscribe for free timely updates to be delivered to your inbox. Information on both Avvo and SpecialNeedsNJ.com does not constitute legal advice, as it is general in nature and may not apply to your situation or be subject to important changes. No attorney client relationship exists unless set forth in written engagement terms.

3. I changed the practice area from elder law to debt collection in hope that you might get an answer from someone who practices in that area of the law. Otherwise I would agree with my colleagues. It looks like you refused to sign paperwork regarding payment, not emergency treatment.

4. You attempted suicide, received treatment, and you don't want to pay the bill?

The emergency services that were rendered were entirely provoked and caused by you. Lots of people don't sign the paperwork and still get helped and billed. Any reasonable person could deduce that if you try to commit suicide that there is some likelihood (or high probability) that someone will call an ambulance and the personnel will work to revive and sustain you, that police will take you into custody, that psych personnel will evaluate you before letting you leave.

The DiGiulio Law Firm, LLC. Phone: 888-540-4529 Website: www.atl-law.com Atlanta, Marietta, Lawrencevile, Duluth, Alpharetta, Buckhead The above answer is for general information purposes and is offered as a service to the public. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, reviews or other communications, including the above post, should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation or relied upon as a substitute for engaging legal counsel, nor does it constitute advertising or a solicitation. Viewing the general information here, including your receipt or transmission of information hereof does not alone create or constitute an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality. Please contact 770-309-9551 for additional questions or to schedule for your free phone consultation. If this question or answer pertains to bankruptcy, please be advised that we are a federal debt relief agency. One of our areas of practice is to help people file for bankruptcy relief and protection under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.

5. Technically no, but given your circumstance, you will have a hard time with that argument.