Do I have to pay childsupport every month even when my daughter spends the entire month of July with me?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Worth, TX

I pay childsupport every month, 12 month a year. But my daughter stays with me the entire mont of July. I don't know if that's how it goes or do I have to say something or will I get that money back at some point in the end.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Lori Elaine Hall Laird


    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Child support orders generally require one party to pay child support year round- regardless of the periods of possession. However, if the parties agree, you can modify the order to change the obligations- for example, if the other party will agree to give you credit for your month of possession- you can likely modify the agreement to reflect that. Or if you believe you are paying too much in support (maybe you have taken a reduction in pay) you can seek to modify the amount of the monthly payments to reflect your current income. Having a good family law attorney by your side will help advise you on the best course of action.

  2. Rachael Jean Griffith

    Contributor Level 4

    Answered . It sounds like you are under a child support order and are not the parent with the right to designate the residence of the child. If this is correct, then you are obligated to pay child support each month regardless of the visitation ordered. This will not be refunded to you. If you feel the child support is too high in comparison with your income, you should consult a licensed attorney in your area to talk about the possibility of petitioning the court to modify the existing order.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,646 answers this week

2,995 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,646 answers this week

2,995 attorneys answering