Do i have to pay child support if the child is not mine.

Asked over 2 years ago - Bakersfield, CA

my wife already had a daughter before we meet but she never knew her father and calls me daddy. we have been married for 2 1/2 years. and together for 3 years. the child is 7 years old now

1. Michael Charles Schwerin

1

Answered . No you do not have to pay child support for a child that is not yours unless you adopted that child (and then they would be yours).

2. Bruce S Gordon

Answered . I agree. Unless you have adopted this child you have no financial responsiblity.

Note that should you and the mother not stay together you may also have a right to visitaiton even if you don't have a responsiblity for payment. I do not practice in California but CA and my state (Connecticut) are often on similar grounds when it comes to family law. You will need to speak with a practicing family attorney about that.