Skip to main content

Do I have to pay child support if I share custody with the mother's child 50/50?

Salem, OR |

I share custody of my son and we spend equal amounts of time with him. In addition, I pay for his medical insurance. The mother has been very difficult to deal with lately and I am considering putting in legal paperwork to ensure she maintains her schedule.

Attorney Answers 2


Do NOT file anything with the court without FIRST taking the current custody judgment to an experienced custody attorney. At least you will learn what to do and what NOT to do. Good luck.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree


You might have to pay child support even if you have equal parenting time, if you earn substantially more money than the other parent does. Child support amounts under Oregon law are calculated according to a complex algorithm. It factors in the income of each parent, the amount of expenses (such as medical insurance - you'd receive a credit, for providing that for your child) and the amount of time, measured in overnight stays per year, that the child spends with each parent. This page contains an application for computing support amounts:

On the other hand, if you had more parenting time than the other parent, even just a little bit, you'd be entitled to receive support from her. If your incomes are roughly the same and you have equal time, then neither of you would need to pay the other.

If you have no formal judgment of custody, then you may want to get one, if the other parent won't communicate with you or work reasonably with you. You should consult with an attorney in private before taking any legal action. You can read more about the laws that govern these cases here:

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree

1 comment

Diane L Gruber

Diane L Gruber


I suggest you read my "legal guides" on my profile page of this website for custody terms and a lot of other information regarding parent time and child support. Good luck.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics