Do I have to pay an auto mechanic for work I did'nt ask for with no contract. (he will not give the car back had for 2 months)?

Asked about 5 years ago - Pittsburgh, PA

I was in an accident and my car was not driveable ( other guys fault) I had the car towed to a garage friend of family. adjuster came and looked at damage and awarded $4,100 in damages I asked mechanic to replace both bumpers with salvage yard parts and bend hood back down and match paint. Long story short could have used some extra money at the time and wanted to pocket some of the insurance money,as a sacrifice was willing to drive the car in not so new condition. (the blue book value was only 2200$) I told him I was willing to pay $2000 for the repairs I wanted. So he went on to using new parts throughout and doing other things I guess that I didnt ask for and told me he was charging me $3500. when I told him that wasnt what we agreed on verbely he told me was keeping car till he's paid

1. Edgardo Rafael Baez

Answered . A personal injury claim against the insurance is a two fold claim process. First the property damage, which the insurance deals with the shop directly. SInce your insurance paid $4,100 for the damage, that is what you should have expected to pay, not more not less. You cannot make deals and reduce price without taking the risk by yourself. Now, you are facing that. In order for you to make any money on an accident, it has to be from your injuries, not your property damage. Sorry that you are going through that, but you need to pay the car shop that fixed your car.

2. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

Answered . As I am licensed in Florida and Vermont, I cannot comment specifically on Pennsylvania law. However, I respectfully disagree with attorney Baez's comments. If you had a specific agreement with the mechanic, that was your agreement and your verbal contract. You apparently did not authorize the insurance company to negotiate the repair contract with the mechanic, a friend of the family. If you specified used parts, he should not have put in new parts nor should he have done more work than that which you authorized. However, you do say "doing other things I guess that I didnt ask for ". If you are going to attempt to enforce the agreement you made with him, you should be certain as to what you asked for and not be in a situation where you talk about "guessing" about what you authorized.