Do I have to pay additional child support for my pregnant teenage daughter?

Asked over 5 years ago - Boston, MA

I currently have a teenage daughter that I just recently found out is pregnant. Her mother has alienated her from me despite the fact we've been in court for visitation. Now I just got a modification order because her (my ex) circustances has change with the upcoming birth of our grandchild its so least to say my daughter is only 15yrs old, high school drop out , no job, no ambition and still her mother refuses her to have any contact with me (because I am married and had 2 babies with my current wife which she hates).
do I now have to pay child support for both children which I find very unjust. I still want a relationship with my daughter but dont want to tag an additonal 23yrs of payment for her child. and also my current court order child support payment is until my daughter is 23yr old how can I change the status of the age of emancipation from 23 to 18?

1. Gabriel Cheong

Answered . You most likely will not have to pay additional child support for your granddaughter. You might need a good attorney to argue this fact however.

2. Jessica Ann Foley

Answered . Hi,

It is unlikely you would be obligated to pay additional child support for your grandchild. The person that should be paying child support for the grandchild is the grandchild's father. You can also go to court for a modification of support, if you feel as though you should not be supporting your daughter until she is 23, if she is not in school.

Jessica