Skip to main content

Do I have to notify USCIS about this

West Chester, PA |

I applied for N-400 application and it is in process, I have changed my driver's license address to po box address recently but I didn't change my permanent address. would this be a concern in general to have driver's license address ( car registration also) as po box address? and Do I have to inform USCIS about that since I did not move to new place. Thanks!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Not a problem .... as long as you still get mail at the address you gave CIS and ... as long as you actually live at the address you gave CIS.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


It depends. You are to show residency for at least 3 months in the jurisdiction you apply.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.


You will need to document that you meet the residency requirement.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Generally speaking, any time you change the address where you live, and you are in non-immigrant status or green card holder, you must notify USCIS within 10 days. The form to use is AR-11. This requirement doesn't apply if you are in A or G status.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer