Do I have to notify each individual on a phone call separately when recording the conversation?

Asked 8 months ago - San Jose, CA

I called customer service and was transferred to or had people added into the conversation. If I notified the first person at the beginning that I was recording the call, do I have to notify every other individual who I speak with after the first person on the same call?

For those saying I need consent from additional individuals, wouldn't they need the same on my end when additional people join my conversation? aren't they breaking the law since they only mention at the beginning of the call that they may be recording for quality purposes?

Also is ok to bluff that you're recording a conversation and not actually do it or have been doing it?

1. Golnar Sargeant

1

Answered . Yes, California is a two party consent state, which means it is illegal to audio record anyone without their consent and doing so carries with it civil as well as criminal penalties. You have to notify each and every person and get each every one of their consents in advance. After you get the consent (before you start recording) I would have them re-confirm their consent on the recording so they can not later deny it. California has some of the strictest laws on the nation on this issue. Be very careful.

2. Ripal Patel

1

Answered . You are in a Two Party Consent State (CA). Here, you always have to obtain consent from each party you speak with before recording their conversations over the phone. Not following proper procedures may subject you to liabilities.

3. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Answered . The other answers provide good advice. As for the last question, you can bluff about recording all you want.