Do I have to maintain SR22 insurance for three years in CA if I move out of state?

Asked 9 months ago - Temecula, CA

I received a wet reckless and was ordered to maintain sr22 for 3 years and summary probation for 3 years. I will be moving out of CA after approx 1 year after the court ruling.

1. Nicholas Milan Loncar

Pro

6

Answered . You will still have to comply with the court's order. Since it is summary probation, you will not likely have to transfer it. Whether you need to maintain a proof of financial responsibility might depend on the requirements for licensing in your new state. You may be able to seek a modification of your probation term in court to accommodate your move. This will probably be easier with an attorney. Contact the attorney who handled your case, even if it was a public defender, or feel free to consult with new attorneys if you wish to have new representation.

2. Leigh Gretchen Fleming

6

Answered . I agree with my colleagues that you should check with the DMV. However, if you never plan to get a CA license again, you may not have to maintain the SR-22? Also, a wet reckless does not carry any license suspension, so it sounds like your suspensions is based solely on the loss of the CA DMV hearing (or not requesting one). You will need to check with the state in which you will be getting your new license, or ideally an attorney in that state, and see what, if anything, they will require. As for your probation, just let the court know your new address, and you should be fine.

3. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

5

Answered . My colleague is correct. More than likely the SR 22 insurance will have to be maintained. You might want to contact an attorney in the state you are moving to , or CA DMV Mandatory Actions Unit.

ANDREW ROBERTS CRIMINAL AND TRAFFIC TICKET DEFENSE ATTORNEY

Pro

6

Answered . Loncar laid it out well