Do I have to let the father of my daughter see her?

Gurnee, IL |
Filed under: Child custody

Okay I was granted sole custody of my daughter on July 7th when we went to court for child support, placement, visitation. The father is a registered sex offender still incarcerated in work release. The lady that was with the child support lady asked if I had any concerns with him seeing his daughter I said yes and no. Then she said that I do not have to let him see her, if I choose. Is that true or does he still have rights to see her?

1. Unless there is a court order granting the father visitation, you do not need to allow visitation. You state that you went to court for "visitation." If there is a court order granting him visitation, you must follow the terms of that Order; although, you can petition the Court to modify his visitation rights if circumstances have changed. If there is no Order for visitation, then the father has the right to go back to court to request visitation. Note that recent case law suggests that if you were never married to the father, then he will have the burden of proving to a judge that it will be in the best interests of your child to have visitation with him.

2. placement is not a word in illinois law. it is a word in wisconsin law. where is your case?

there is a statute that limits visits for sex offenders. 750 ilcs 5/607. if he has not complied with it, he legally cannot get visits.

3. If this is a Wisconsin case then only ask a Wisconsin lawyer.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

Child custody topics