Do I have to install an ignition interlock system if I received a deferred judgment on OWI in Iowa?

Keokuk, IA |

Until March of this year, my driving record and criminal record were spotless. I am 28 years old. I was arrested for OWI in March, after failing the chemical test (.11 was the result). The judge gave me a deferred judgment based on two years of good conduct probation and a civil penalty, court costs, and an emergency response fee totaling over $2,000. In September, I am eligible to get my license back (after the 180 day revocation from DOT). I have talked to some who say I will need the ignition interlock system, while others say that I will not. Does a person who receives the deferred judgment on a first time OWI have to install the ignition interlock system (for regular license after 180 days, not for the temp. res. license)?

I was also ordered by the court to do several other things such as complete a substance abuse evaluation, 12 hour drinking and driving course, and abstain from possessing, drinking, or purchasing alcohol for two years. However, nowhere in the court order does it say anything about an ignition interlock device (IID).

If you have no prior alcohol related revocation on your driving record (including a .02 "zero tolerance" violation), then the DOT will not require an IID when you reinstate your driving privileges. The grace of a deferred judgment doesn't factor into it. If you obtain a temporary restricted license during the 180 day revocation, then chances are you would need an IID for the work permit unless your chemical test was between .08 and .10 and there was no accident or personal injury to another. But as far as reinstatement is concerned once the 180 day revocation period ends, an IID should only be required if you have a previous revocation on your certified driving record.

Thank you for that clarification. That is what a person at the DOT said but I had other skeptics, or pessimists, who were trying to tell me that at the DOT, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets